Culture Essay

본문

Father’s Voice

• AD 이승신
  • 2019.03.06 00:01

New York City Lights                                                                            October 23, 2018  

Sunshine Lee's Culture Essay Written in Poetry

I Hear Father’s Voice

Coming to New York, a name comes to my mind. Kim Gwangsam.

It was about 40 years ago.

I met my father’s friend’s son and his wife with my mother and father who came to New York around father's age of 60.

“My husband’s name Gwangsam means '3 lights' in Korean. One of the lights is his wife. Me.” At this word of that bold wife, we all laughed but she kept going on like that and we all leaned toward the quiet son of my father’s friend from Pyungyang University of Education.

After we had lunch together, he showed us his not so extraordinary pediatric clinic that was soon to be opened in New Jersey. We had dinner together again and he lodged us somewhere nearby.

Doing nothing special and wasting two days in such a fancy city as New York with so much to see and visit felt like a waste of my parents’ short stay in the US. It took me four hours by train to get there from Washington DC, and my old parents had come all the way from Korea. I felt sorry to spend less time together as a family since we lived far apart.

We had nothing more to say. Even my father who is usually a good talker had nothing more to say. It was a long and tedious time.

The next day after dropping us off at Broadway next to Columbia University where my brother was a graduate student, Gwangsam suddenly burst into tears with my father’s hands in his hand while saying goodbye. Wiping tears with his fist, he wouldn’t let go of the hands of my father, his own father’s friend whom he was meeting for the first time.

Getting impatient at the prolonged farewell, I motioned with my eyes to suggest that we leave. But my father realized that Gwangsam was dragging on because he was unable to let us go due to the piercing remorse he felt over his own father’s death in Seoul not so long ago. My father was frustrated with my impatience and immaturity, saying, “I guess you really do not understand how he feels.”

My father’s heart was pouring out with sympathy for Gwangsam.

Where was it, I wonder? It must be around here that my father showed his deep sympathy for Gwangsam and felt endless pity for his daughter’s immaturity.

It’s now the end of October, and after about 40 years, I am looking around Broadway near the school with cold hands.

A few years later, my father suddenly passed away in Seoul, and at Baltimore, I realized in my heart how my father and Gwangsam felt then. 

It is a scene that I cannot help but remember as time goes by.

The gap between my father’s (he was 31 years older than me) and my mind was that wide. 

Where was it, I wonder 
                That my father
                Was worried about

When his daughter would grow up

Time has silently passed away
                Now I am older than my father of that day
                looking around 
Broadway

In front of the University in the late Autumn

If there is anything good about me
                It would be because I met my father

If there is anything lacking about me
                It would be because I lost himtoo soon

The landscape of Manhattan New York - from New Jersey 10  23, 2018

I hear father’s voice - New York Broadway 10  23, 2018

I hear father’s voice - New York Broadway  10 23, 2018

I hear father’s voice - New York Broadway  10 23, 2018

Dormitory of New York Columbia  University 

Columbia Univ.  facing  Broadway - New York

A poster for a lecture of Madeline Albright

the United States Secretary of State

The spot I and father took a picture - Columbia Univ. 10 23, 2018

---------------------------------------------

Lee Sunshine

Poet, Essayist, TV Personality, President of Son Hoyun Tanka Institute

Graduate of the department of English Literature at Ewha Woman's University

Graduate school of Georgetown University, Washington and Syracuse University,

New York,  Doshisha University, Kyoto

Voice of America, Washington D.C.

Director of the International Committee at Korean Broadcasting Commission

Senior Adviser at Samsung Media & Cheil Worldwide

Publications

In A Journey of Healing and Awakening, Breathtaking, Colored by Okinawa

How Could Anything But Blooming Spring Exists in Life? 

Because of Your Heart, a Flower Blooms,  etc.

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기