Culture Essay

본문

The Safety House 2

• AD 이승신
  • 2014.04.25 21:02

The Safety House – the 2nd story

Re-reading the article  “Lee Sunshine’s Culture Essay – A SafetyHouse” that I sent out exactly a year ago on January 3rd, reminds me of justhow time flies

Icannot help but think about the changes that been made and theimprovements that have been achievedsince the new president was elected

In this seemingly stagnantworld, we remain the only divided country and from the outside it seems as if weare as if living in a powder keg, although it has become so common for us to receivethreats from the North and from North Korean sympathizers that we do not worryas much any more. Facing a sluggish economic recovery and social conflicts, problematicrelations with neighboring countries, andsome serious obstinacy in government, rather than changes and reforms, we cannothelp but wonder what we should do after the enthusiastic election of the newpresident

Meanwhile, I am reminded ofthe humanism of General Chae Myung-shin, Mandela’s example who will berespected more and more as time goes by, and of the humility of the new Pope

The New Year

Now it is time to look into the future rather than to look back into the past, and to move forward making sure that our descendants who will takeresponsibility for this earth. Everything depends on how each of us makes upour minds. Time goes by ceaselessly. The end of the year might come around againat any moment

Lee Sunshine's Culture Essay in Poetry  

Janurary  3,  2013   

At the Safety House

Although I have never met the newly elected president, Park Keun-hae,
 I have seen her quite a few times.

The Korean-style house, in which I lived with my parents for many years has significantly shrunk because of the expansion of the roads around the house. Back in the day when the old house was set back deep inside the garden, there was a second-story Western-style house near the front gate. From the terrace of my room in the second floor, I used to observe the former president Park Jung-hee and his daughter at close range, just a stone’s throw away.

That was after the moment when I heard a gun shot while watching President Park make a congratulatory speech marking the Liberation Day in 1974 on TV. A moment later the first lady Yuk collapsed and passed away.

The house across street from my house, Pirun-dong 90, belonged to the older brother of first lady Yuk, He was Congressman Yuk In-soo, and the mother-in-law of president Park lived there.

I visited that house a few times. There was a garage downstairs and once you climbed up the outside stairs, you reached the front door and entered the living room.

I used to see President Park and his daughter climbing up those stairs 

Every time the president visited, the guards barricaded both ends of the several-hundred-meter-long road in front of the house. I got the distinct impression that these guards were lax. They would buy candies at both ends of the alley without noticing the fact that I was there looking down at the president and his daughter right in front of them.

Soon after that time, I went to Washington to study and while adjusting to the new country and my studies, and working and living there, I completely forgot about that scenes.

I came back home to find that the house across the street had become the Indian Embassy and then turned into nine villas afterward. After all these years, however, I clearly recalled the scene I had forgotten about for so long: how the president and his daughter climbed up the stairs step-by-step.

Whenever I looked at the place, whether leaving or coming back home, I remembered the scenes vividly as if it were only yesterday.

One spring day last year around half past five in the afternoon, I was walking by that house and remembering the scene again. Suddenly, my cell phone rang. “This is Park Keun-hae” said the voice. Although I know of her, I was uncertain that she could possibly know about me. And yet there I was talking to her as naturally as if we had met back then at those scenes that I had been remembering for several decades and was recollecting right at that moment

“As it so happens, Pirun-dong is where my uncle used to live” she said, delighted.

She was reminded of the good old days

Then I realized that I had forgotten to ask an important question “By the way, may I ask what this call concerns?” 

She told me that she was moved by my poetry book ‘Breathtaking’

I was amazed that she read poetry at all, for it was a complicated period due to the conflicts surrounding Sejong city. I was even more amazed that I found it so natural to talk to her in person about that scenes for the first time, which had only been a personal experience and I had never shared with anybody. It seemed as if that whole conversation was fated   

The evening on the day after she was elected, despite cold weather, I walked down my neighborhood, passing along the long stone wall of the Gyeongbok-gung Place and rambling along Mugunghwa Hill in front of the Blue House

That was where the safety house was and it was where former president Park passed away in 1979

The first thing former president Kim Young-sam did after being elected was tearing down the safety house, plant a great number of Mugunghwa flowers, and open it to the public

It was also there that I took a walk with my mother for the last time in the summer of 2003.

I was pushing the wheelchair of my poet mother who had published five books of poetry all entitled Mugunghwa and we watched the fully bloomed mugunghwa flowers together

Gazing upon the silent traces of the safety house and the Blue House, I thought about the new president. On the way out from the Blue House, if you turn left, you will face the Mugunghwa hill right before you step into Hyoja-dong

Just as I think of my mother when I arrive at that place, she also would have mixed emotions looking at that hill, thinking of her own father

And she would swear that she would overcome the time of that president

Mom

This Mugunghwa is also the title of your poetry books, right?

yeah~

Less talkative mother

I kept trying to make a conversation pushing her wheelchair

Right~

The hill of Mugunghwa

where I can hear her voice

at the hill park where flowers would cover

the smell of blood of the safety house

I look up the twinkling stars

The news from the twinkling stars

sent by my mother and father

Through the night air below zero temperatures in December