Culture Essay

본문

In Doshisha Campus

• AD 이승신
  • 2015.09.07 22:46

Chapel at the Doshisha Univ. Kyoto  -  2015  3                                                             2015  4  29

In Doshisha Campus

I think that studying should be done when one matures enough.

These are my thoughts as I study again at a university in around thirty-some years.

Certainly I could have easily taken a position as a visiting professor with my acquired qualifications and travel here and there in Japan to write essays with poetry. Despite hearing rumors of Korean visiting professors to Japan and the States usually travel and play golf most of the time out, I desperately yearned to study once again.

As such, I never in a million years thought I would end up roaming around the campus of Kyotanabe university as probably the eldest student going around 12 classes to attend 12 hard course subjects and face 12 professors in Japanese, a language still yet to master. My thoughts wonder in comparison of the different academic environments between Japan and the western countries from my past years in universities of Korea alongside graduate schools of Georgetown and Syracuse.

Always as I left the minus 10 degrees celsius freezing weathers of Seoul's March and frequent Japan as if a close distance as a neighbor next door, come each Spring I was welcome by the amazing full bloom of the Cherry Blossoms. Putting aside all piles of daily routine of Seoul and even without a moment to think over the matters of study or of gathering one's mind, I packed but a mere few books and clothing as I began the rather daunting tasks of getting a foreigner ID registration, health insurance, in addition to health check-up etc., finally settling in after purchasing goods in a small residential.

After all that, came early April the Spring semester just as an elementary student way back in the days. Although I had thought I knew them, I was simply astonished at their meticulous and thoroughness as well as courtesy and consideration for others during the class registration process.

As an example, I had left my reading glasses during an exam and they granted permission for me to go back home to grab the glasses allowing me to take the exam alone even after the time had expired. The following day, they requested an interview with me and I was concerned that it would be something to do with the test scores but to my amazement, they began an inquiry concerning my eyesight. For this, I explained to them about how my perfect eyesight had gone bad from around 2 years ago requiring reading glasses, a simple matter which they took to care for and required me to fill out several steps of questionnaire.

Even the classes and it's studying courses are incomparably detailed and attentively thorough.

When a professor finds a student needing something further, he/she will most definitely provide that student additional materials or reference related to the matter come next class session. I also was given this privilege and was simply taken away by the sharp observation.

The thoughts did occur that this is how they would have been educated since childhood and thus brought to my realization of the precision behind Japan's current politics as well as worldwide strategies for foreign affairs.

It surely has been a while since I had to concentrate on studying and not being completely fluent in Japanese does no good when I roam over different class by class that has its own set of quizzes, tests, and homework. Still, the content of the classes are quite interesting and perhaps maturity in age factor has somewhat to do with it.

Ever since the age of 7, studying was all about one grade and one step higher after another lined up as one's age got a year older each time.

Without full comprehension or grasp of things, I went through school, college and because I didn't want to marry so soon, off to graduate schools in the US perhaps.

Many a literature mentioned famous Kamo-gawa riverside of Kyoto is just in front of my home that is next to a farmer's market. Yet, my place lacks plentiful of sunshine and at times feels rather claustrophobic, so I would take a stroll of a 7 minute walk to the campus where the sun shines in abundance followed by bright greeting of the beautifully poised university flower of Japanese Apricot Tree and a crowd of Cherry Blossoms.

Whenever I pass by the late poet Yoon, Dongju and of Chung Jiyong next to the century past built old brick campus chapel, I cannot help but always feel humbled.

Even if I didn't decide to take such hard course classes, I am certain I would have had much enlightenment of knowledge by merely standing in the midst of such vast richness of the culture and history that is present here as well as the presence of the Spirit of Faith.

I am taking courses on Japanese language as basis alongside writing in Japanese as well and on my first class on syntax, the female professor entered the class with a full smile apparently wearing the clothe of humility. Her first words were, "Everyone, have you heard about a map of your heart? Please find the map of your heart."

'A map of your heart', I am so moved.

I would often comment or teach this and that as if I knew enough, but I now find as though my thoughts are changing as I myself am changing faced with many youthful minds in their process of learning.

Just prior to leaving Seoul, I mentioned about Dr. Saldman, a French nationally esteemed doctor, he said that in health and happiness there are important factors such as food, exercise, love, and devotion to a religion etc. and indeed in order for such vitally important factors to face new challenges of perspective, work, as well as life, leaving to another new country is the best way.

Depart from things familiar.

I left piles of endless daily tasks with hesitation, but I realize I now am able to see, although quite tense, a glimpse of a new life.

Under the shadow of flowers, no one is a complete stranger

Itsa Kobayashi

내가 공부하는 도시샤大 네 건물 중 기중 많이 드나드는 코후깡 弘風館

도시샤대 졸업식에 남학생은 양복, 여학생은 좀 짧은 치마의 하까마를 입다

수십미터 키와 너비의 새하얀 시다레자쿠라가 땅끝까지 - 2015  3  21

채플앞 야에자쿠라, 젤 늦게까지 피는 진한 모습 -도시샤 2015 4 20 

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기