Culture Essay

본문

JP’s Love of Tanka 20231213

• AD 이승신
  • 2024.02.15 13:40

Sunshine's Culture Essay  

Written in Poetry

JP’s Love of Tanka

I wonder if there are any politicians in my country who appreciate literature and poetry.

JP, Jong Pil Kim comes to my mind.

His image as a sharp young prime minister known for his elegance and refinement stands out.

Unlike the common image associated with military personnel, he exuded a relaxed and stylish demeanor. Did other domestic politicians possess the intellectual depth that combines both Eastern and Western knowledge? He left behind numerous rhetorical expressions.

Many articles were written about him when he was gone, covering his political journey and achievements. There are things I know and things I don't.

Among them, something particularly came to my attention.

<When he visited Japan for a meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Masayoshi Ohira, a short poem expressing the lonely feelings of a man staying alone away from home was hung in the lodgings. He recognized the poet's name, Morishige Hisaya (1913-2009) and called the inn keeper to say 'The only person who could write such a poem is Morishige Hisaya. This incident became a topic of conversation in Japanese political circles, emphasizing his deep understanding of Japan>

Morishige Hisaya was not a poet but a famous male actor of that era. Although he appeared in films, sang many songs and even had duets with Misora Hibari, there is no record of him being referred to as a poet. However, due to his popularity, he might have written song lyrics or even composed short poems.

I became curious about the poem that conveyed the lonely feelings of a solitary man. Despite my efforts to find information, I have not been able to uncover it. The closing lines 'his deep understanding of Japan' catch my attention. How much knowledge is required to be recognized as someone who deeply understands Japan?  Perhaps a clue lies in the 31 character poem 'Tanka短歌' (Short Poem).

The Japanese people love literature, especially the poetic form known as 'Tanka’ It is considered the essence of Japanese high culture, cherished as the 'hometown of the heart'  It is said that during the war in the 7th century, nobles and scholars from the defeated Baekje Kingdom crossed over to Japan, bringing the tradition of composing Poetry. Even today, the Japanese Imperial family linked with the Korean peninsula, continues to compose Tanka and politicians frequently quote 

them in their speeches.

In 2012 when my 2 books of poetry were published in both Korea and Japan, one was translated into Japanese Tanka and the other was published in contemporary verse. People were more moved by the one presented in Tanka format.

Leaders of both countries quoted my poems in their speeches and I observed people carrying small memo books jotting down their favorite Tanka to memorize.

When I visited the National Assembly office, reading Tanka poetry with Mori Yoshiro the former Prime Minister and presenting my Japanese Tanka collection  'How Can There Be Only Spring in Life~ ' it took more than 60 minutes way over initially planned to read from the first page to the last. He was so excited, saying that these poems should be included in textbooks. 

In 2005, during the summit meeting between President Roh Moohyun and Japanese P M Junichiro Koizumi, Koizumi recited a peace poem of my mother.

In 2013, I also had time to share Tanka poetry with JP in Seoul.

Mother never explicitly expressed that she was well known in Japan during her lifetime. However, when someone in Korea showed an interest in erecting a poetry monument for her, she became interested.

Bothered that her poetry monument was only erected in Japan, she expressed her wish for a poem monument to be erected in Buyeo, capital city while Backje was exhisted.  

She and me went there to look at the 3 places for the poem monument. 

However, it was not easy to obtain permission to erect a monument in the 3 places because they were all historical sites. The man of culture center who guided us suggested that if it is JP, it may go through. We never attempted, and mother passed away.

She didn't get to see that. The fact that that was the only thing she showed some interest and went all the way to a distant place bothered me. I talked about this and JP to Muto then Ambassador of Japan and he said he will bring me to JP.

At Cheonggu-dong, JP's House, JP and I showed and talked about my Korean version of mother's Tanka collection and a documentary about her life. As he was recovering from a stroke, he was focused on listening to me, showing considerable interest in my stories.

I couldn't help but think that if he had met Koizumi Junichiro at Korea and  Japan Summit Meeting, when Koizumi recited a peace poem, JP would have responded with another poem, seamlessly continuing the conversation. It would have been a beautiful scene with a touch of elegance to move people's hearts.

The day after the Blue House Summit, newspapers reported on Koizumi who mentioned the Son Hoyun's spirit of peace through poetry.

We talked about Tanka for a long time probably more than 3 hours ,thanks to JP's apparent interest, but I failed to mention about the poem monument in Buyeo. He passed away without knowing the reason I visited him.

There was the 3 Kim era in Korea and JP was the only one who did not serve as President of Republic of Korea. I saw him in a video shouting 'I must become the President'  He must have been disappointed.

But, considering the history of Presidents retiring and facing upheavals, it might have been good that he did not become one. If he had become President, wouldn't the image of intellectual based on humanities have been shattered?

After his  funeral, people sent me a photo of JP's room which was on the internet. In the middle of his library, there was a picture of him and on the top left, there was mother's Tanka book of Poetry. Just below, there was documentary CD 'Mugunghwa that echoed through the Japanese archipelago' which I made with PD Hong-gu Lee. These were what I presented to JP during our long conversations some years ago. It's a moment that reflects the deep sentiment of <JP's Tanka Love>  

Buyeo, some say it's the birthplace of Tanka and JP was born and buried there. 

And there's also a moment when mother and I visited there for her poetry monument site.

I think that JP can indeed be considered, in some aspect, as someone who 'deeply understands Japan'

Son Hoyun Tanka was recited  at the Blue House 2005

PM Mori Yoshiro reading Sunshine Lee Tanka poetry collection 

Son's Book on the left side, the Poet's Docu CD below 

JP, former Prime Minister in his House Seoul  –  2013

https://youtu.be/MVa8s6iQ0Mg?si=4wy9EHOdLMKo-QuW&t=74

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기