Culture Essay

본문

A Postcard

• AD 이승신
  • 2019.11.19 21:54

The entrance to Kyukyodo                                                                     Dec  3  2018

Sunshine Lee's Culture Essay Written in Poetry

A Postcard

A postcard.

It must sound like an artifact from the old days.

I used to be one of those people who often wrote letters or postcards to my acquaintances, but I switched to digital a long time ago.

But Kyukyodo inspired me to write year end postcards again.

I recently studied in Kyoto and even after that I visit Kyoto from time to time, so I don’t buy souvenirs like new comers to Japan do. Still, I remember entering some place in Ginza, Tokyo and buying cards, postcards, pens which looked special a long time ago when I was 20 years old. I didn’t know the name of the store. And from then on I visit there from time to time and have fun browsing through the stationery products, especially cards, postcards, stationary paper - on display in the tall building.

I started going a spacious stationery store, Kyukyodo, in Kyoto. The first Kyukyodo I went was in Tokyo, and I later found out that Kyukyodo in Kyoto, which opened in 1663, was the head store. There are a lot of historical stores or companies who have their head stores are in Kyoto, the old capital of Japan and their branch store in Tokyo. It’s because Kyoto was the capital of Japan for 1100 years and Tokyo became its capital 150 years ago.

After hearing that Kyukyodo’s core principle is ‘protecting and nurturing the Japanese traditional culture’ I see them as a valuable place which tries to pass down its 350 year tradition to future generations.

Kyukyodo is right in front of Honnoji, a famous temple on Teramachi street in Kyoto. When I take a step inside Kyukyodo, it smells like paper and ink. Karenda publishes postcards of new designs every season. They are all classy. As is the case with Japanese products, some postcards look Japanese at a glance, others look western (as the Japanese have studied Western civilization for 150 years), yet most of the products have their own unique taste.

They have a variety of brushes, and inkstones, ink sticks, ink-water stones, incense, calligraphy kit, ink and wash paintings all come in different patterns and unique designs.

In the fall, they sell postcards of year end designs, and postcards with pictures of next year’s ganzhi animal. I often buy those postcards and letter papers and send a letter with a line of my short poem. I feel happy whenever I leave the store with beauifuily wrapped purchase.

I remember having a look at Christmas cards on display in Gwanghwamun Gate on my way home when I was young. The cards were being advertised as made in the USA. And now, the year end and New Year’s cards that are sent to me are all dry and dull with just company seals without even a word of affectionate greetings. Is it because they don’t have pretty designs anymore, or is it just to save cost? I guess personal things and designs now  belong to the Internet. It became a dry life.

Yet whether it’s in Tokyo or Kyoto, Kyukyodo with its long history is packed with people even though hand written letters have gone out of fad nowadays.

It’s impossible not to buy anything even though no one pressures me to buy anything, and those who buy things will think of the loved ones and send postcards with affectionate words.

Kyukyodo with its 350y ear history would make the world a less dry place. 

In the age of emails and text messages

I would like to convey my heart with a brush

On a postcard

Kyukyodo in Teramachi street, Kyoto

Postcards, Kyukyodo, Kyoto

Stationery paper sold in Kyukyodo

Envelops sold in Kyukyodo, Kyoto

Ink water stones I bought in Kyoto Kyukyodo

Tokyo Kyukyodo building - Ginza Tokyo

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인