Culture Essay

본문

Poet’s Garden

• AD 이승신
  • 2019.11.13 21:20

Poet’s Garden, Sisendo

It’s late autumn here in Kyoto.

I ride a subway train for 10 minutes and get off at Ichijoji station. There are several historic temples and a tree in a small alley. A legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi is said to have dueled under that tree.

And there is Sisendo, or ‘Poet’s Garden.’

I heard of the name ‘Poet’s Garden’ a few years ago and my heart started to beat with excitement.

Japanese gardens usually belong to shrines, the emperor or daimyos and this garden was called “Poet’s Garden”? I asked around and visited Poet’s Garden and it didn’t disappoint me.

I pushed open a simple bamboo door and went up the stone stairs between the bamboo walls to find a room with a tatami floor. I sat in the room silently and found a porch spreading from tatami and a garden spreading in front. The simple garden was attractive and amiable. I could feel the hard work that took to build the garden.

The garden in May was special with royal azalea. The garden in the middle of summer with its rattan was fresh. And this late autumn, with its orange autumn colors, the garden is deep and elegant.

Ishikawa Jozan1583-1672 who built this garden, was a famous samurai who was one of the closest aides of Tokugawa Ieyasu. He rendered distinguishing services in Ieyasu’s becoming shogun and defeating Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Then he relinquished his samurai status and looked after his mother in Hiroshima. After his mother died, he came to Kyoto, and built Sisendo when he was 59 years old.

As if to prove that if you excel at one thing you excel at other things as well, Jozan distinguished himself in poetry and studies as well as war. He was also a great architect; the garden of change and harmony that he built is comfortable and beautiful. There is a small room overlooking the moon on the second floor.
A room overlooking the moon – how poetic is that?

He liked Chinese poetry. He drew portraints of 36 Chinese poets and produced writings of their poems. These works are framed in the main hall. That’s why the temple was given the name Sisendo. I would like to understand the contents as the poems were admired by the poet who built this beautiful garden. It is a shame I can’t, as it is ancient writing written in lishu.

On the entrance to the room is hung a picture of Prince Charles and Princess Diana of the UK. Why would Prince Charles visit this small ‘Poet’s Garden’,  no other famous temples in Kyoto? Maybe someone recommended Sisendo or he wanted to feel the fragrance of an Eastern poet from a long time ago. Still, it is refreshing to see a picture of westerners in this calm, Eastern garden.

We know their present, but the Prince and Princess didn’t know their future in the picture, we can capture this peculiar moment in Sisendo.

On the opposite side of the inner door is a front yard with white sand. And the white sand is brushed so that the sand looks like a beautiful pattern. I put on my shoes again, and walk past the white sand to find a small waterfall flowing to make a shallow pond. The sound of waterfall and the waterdrop into bamboo scupper constitutes a calm atmosphere and makes me feel like I’m in a temple in a deep forest even though in reality I am in the middle of a city.

This temple and garden were built in 1641. Ishikawa Jozan lived here for more than 30 years leaving behind his colorful life as a samurai. He tended the garden, composed poetry, became a master of Lishu and Chinese poetry, and welcomed best writers and artists of the day into this place.

I feel like poetic inspiration and spirit of Jozan stays in the garden he built. This is a lovely place suitable to inspire a poetic taste inside one’s heart.

I wish this garden would be a secret place just for me. 

I listen to the silence

In the garden built of poems

Ancient beauty

Waiting to be born from deep within heart

The entrance to Sisendo Kyoto - December 5  2015

Poet’s Garden Sisendo - December 5  2015

Prince Charles and Princess Diana of the U.K., visiting Sisendo

Sisendo, Poet’s autumn garden Kyoto  December 5 2015

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기