Culture Essay

본문

Opera House

• AD 이승신
  • 2019.04.24 10:30

Sydney Opera House                                                                                March 21 2019

Sunshine Lee's Culture Essay Written in Poetry

Opera House

It’s 28 degree in Australia – it’s warm.

It was a hot summer in December, January and February, and now Autumn is just beginning. I’ve often seen on the Australians wearing bikinis and Santa red hats in Sydney on Christmas.

The contrasting temperatures in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres are one thing but having spent winter in Seoul, coming to Sydney is like arriving on a completely different world with a completely different climate. Above all, coming from the terror of micro dust, I am reminded again of what fresh air is like.

Australia is a big island country in the Southern Hemisphere. The area of the island is that of the U.S. minus Alaska; you can imagine how big it is.

With a per capita GDP of nearly 50,000 dollars and as a member of the Commonwealth, Australia is a stable and peaceful country. The welfare system of this country is unbelievable.

Australia is a country that was founded by prisoners from the United Kingdom, therefore the country has been heavily influenced by the U.K. and they speak unique Australian English. The flowers of purple, pink and white, palm trees and green trees look very comforting.

I took on teaching three hours a week course at the graduate school of Dankook University from this March.  After lecturing, I boarded a 11 hour flight to Sydney (an overdue promise) and right after landing I went straight to give a special lecture. Yet all the while I thought of the Sydney Opera House.

The next day I went to the Sydney Opera House with my 2 friends whom I reunited with at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Toward the horizon at the far end of the sea, the blue sea light and sunlight are brilliantly shining. It is a 22 year reunion.

Everyone all over the world thinks of the Sydney Opera House when they hear of Australia, whether they have seen it or not. It is a world-famous landmark. The Sydney Opera House with Harbour Bridge across the water reminds anyone of Australia.

It is a relatively modern building; its construction started in 1959 and was finished in 1973. This unique construction with the shape of a big shell facing the sea also looks like a sailboat gliding on the water. Jørn Utzon, a Danish architect, designed this world-class masterpiece. A masterpiece which I am sure is on almost everyone’s must-see list.

The Sydney Opera House is beautiful and graceful from any angle. It stands loftily, as saying all architecture should be like this. Its design, construction and engineering transcend imagination. I approach to touch it and see that the huge, round shell is made of white tiles only the width of my hand. These tiles are attached one by one to this huge, round roof. I realize anew that meticulous details are the life of a masterpiece.

The sea surrounding it, its waves and the harmony of colors are all special.

And far off in the middle of the blue sea, is a prison in which prisoners from the U.K. were once imprisoned. It’s Saturday afternoon and the Sydney Harbour is crowded with people.

There are probably several ways to make a country or a city known, but I realize anew the particular importance of visible sculptures. The Sydney Opera House became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007 and Jørn Utzon made a name for himself and contributed to making Australia a country of culture & art.

Symbols have a huge contribution in making countries with short histories gain status. I think about what kind of sculptures there are to make Korea known to the world. We have tried with Dongdaemun Design Plaza by spending huge sums of money, but DDP hasn’t reached the level of Sungnyemun Gate and Gwanghwamun.

I wish we would make a sculpture with culture, art and architecture, combined and equipped with exceptional hardware and software to heighten our status all over the world.

This is the thought that comes to me whenever I stand in front of this opera house.

Sydney Opera House – March 13, 2019

Tiles the width of my hand covering the entire roof

Sydney Harbour Bridge -  March 15 2019 

The prison in the middle of the sea which used to house prisoners from the U.K.  

Botanic Garden viewed from Sydney Opera House

The old wool factory building near the opera house catching one’s eye

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기