Culture Essay

본문

Grandmother's Armoire

• AD 이승신
  • 2023.09.24 08:25

Grandmother's Armoire

In my home, there's an old armoire that has been with me for a long time. It blends in perfectly with the other furnishings and its sturdy presence and modest appearance seem like a piece of the Joseon Dynasty era soothing my heart.

Among them, a medium-sized 3-tiered armoire, about four feet tall with a rich, dark color and ancient mother-of-pearl inlay, never fails to touch a corner of my heart whenever I look at it. It was sent to me by my grandmother when I was living in Washington.

One day, while living in Washington, without any emotional preparation, I opened it and had a gut feeling that my grandmother might be preparing for her passing. My heart felt like it was crumbling.

I once heard that this armoire was something my grandmother treasured her entire life, a gift she received directly from a court lady in the palace. If there's a measure of dignity for an armoire, I would say this one has a very high level of dignity, with its subtle radiance.

Since I was very young, this armoire has always been placed in the lower room of my grandmother's house, so it felt like it was on equal footing with her. I couldn't help but feel uneasy about why she had sent such a heavy piece all the way to the distant land of America when I could have enjoyed it with beloved people in the beloved place in Seoul.

Come to think of it, there was a time when I was uneasy with how my grandmother loved and treasured her granddaughter more than her own body. Yet lately, I've been thinking more about my grandmother. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, or maybe it's because the world seems more confusing. I find myself missing her.

Grandfather, who went to study abroad in Japan with Grandmother, was captured during the Korean War, leaving grandmother alone. She poured all her love onto me instead. She was always proud of me and praised me endlessly and forgave me unconditionally. 

Thanks to her, I grew up without feeling inferior with a good heart. But as I grew up, I resisted her good advice and complained that she didn't understand the younger generation, despite her knowing everything and endlessly covering for me.

She lived a lonely life and suffered so much throughout her late

years. It breaks my heart to think about it.

After falling on the icy pavement in winter and undergoing major surgeries, she became as stiff as a tree. She longed for me after I left for the United States to study and it saddens me to think about how she couldn't recognize me when I visited Seoul, as if she never raised me like a lover.

Her brilliant mind and her beautiful appearance engraved in my memory. Her skin as smooth and radiant as silk. Everyone acknowledged that my grandmother was stunningly beautiful and whenever there was a school event, whether in elementary school or girls' school, she would come to find me, making me proud.

But I realize that she must have endured a great deal of injustice and unfairness as a woman born in Korea over a century ago.

My earliest memory is grandmother holding me in her arms at the break of dawn, praying earnestly. That image still lingers with me, like a dream or a scene from a movie.

After that, I saw her pray earnestly at the same time every morning. 

Ah, how she prayed with dignity and composure.

Now I wish she were here, sharing her wealth of experience and life wisdom with me. It's a time when I truly need it.

She especially loved the camellia, plum trees and the red-leaved maple trees she planted in the garden. When I had a stomachache, she would gently massage my stomach with her warm strong hands. 

Why do I only miss her and long for her loving care when I'm in pain or going through a tough time?

We shared so many memories but she's no longer with me.

Today, I look at the armoire she sent me as if I were looking at my grandmother herself. This armoire went across the Pacific to the United States and returned to Seoul after a long time. Chinese characters are engraved on the two columns of the armoire. 'Wealth and many sons, prosperity for the descendants 富貴多男 子孫昌盛'

It's been 34 years since she left us and as I gaze at the characters as if she engraved them herself, the autumn scent fills the night and my grandmother's love and generous heart touch me like a shiver.

I shouldn’t have loved a person who was going 

to leave me too soon

Ah, grandmother

Grandmother Jang Boksun 1904 ~ 1989

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기