Culture Essay

본문

U.S. Presidential Inauguration Again

• AD 이승신
  • 2017.02.03 10:23

2021  1  18

Greeting the U.S. Presidential Inauguration Again

I thought I knew how fast time flies but at the inauguration of Joe Biden, I was surprised 

anew that it’s already been 4 years.

Reading the essay I wrote in Washington 4 years ago, I am reminded of how I felt at the time.
Candlelight protests were at their peak in Korea. While heading for Washington, remembering Trump’s posture that I caught a glimpse of in his building in New York, I tried to comfort myself 'But it’s the U.S. I know it will be fine' 

At Trump’s inauguration on Capital Hill 4 years ago, I prayed a lot and wrote several times that 'I’ll hold onto a strap of hope'

Greeting the Biden era, I look back on the last 4 years.
Trump’s 'America First' that got me worried in his inauguration speech and his divisive 
populism are begetting the harsh results as observed now.

Seeing with my own eyes that simple conviction reaps rewards strikes me with terror.  

It is said that a million of Trump supporters will be protesting, and 25,000 national guard troops are going to be deployed. As the welcoming crowd at Trump inauguration was, I felt less than half what I saw at Obama inauguration, I think the number one million is hard to believeand I hope it will be a safe and blessed day.

I will have to pray again on January 20 2021 when the U.S. Presidential Inauguration is held~ the first inauguration in 152 years which cannot be attended by former Presidents .

2017  1  23

Holding onto a Strap of Hope

Eventually Trump became the president of the United States of America.
An era of Trump has begun at last.

Invited to his inauguration ceremony, I left for Washington, the city where I used to live 
for almost 20 years.

Simultaneously with our candle light protests, there are numerous protests 
in many American cities, people are lining up for immigration to Canada, 
shouting 'Not my President'due to the disappointment at the result of the presidential election.
The United States seems to be divided into two.

I believed in America's openness, democracy and its great spirit of uniting 
and embracing one another despite great conflicts. With the slightest hope as if I'm praying,
I attended the presidential inauguration which I used to watch only on TV 
when I was living in Washington.

The rumors say that Trump, having been offended by the fact that the oppositional party members of Korea visited China regarding the deployment of the THAAD missiles, decided not to invite them. The current political situation in Korea, however, would not allow them to attend the presidential inauguration of another country. Not only our leader and our government but also the heads of the conglomerates in Korea, who would have willingly attended the ceremony given the economic and security issues between the two countries, cannot even move an inch due to the special prosecution.

I usually think that communication among ordinary people is way more important than any affectless summit talks in dealing with conflicts between two countries. Therefore, in this urgent period, on January 20, the day of the presidential inauguration ceremony, I head for the Capitol accompanied by five people, holding a big invitation letter from the U.S. Congress.

It was drizzling a little, but the temperature was a mild 12 degrees celcius. The city center, stimulated by the Inaugural Ball the night before, was calm and quiet. At the scene, it was said that the crowd was rather smaller than that from the time of Obama’s inauguration and there were anti-Trump protesters standing face to face with the Police.

Trump stayed at the Blair House, right across from the White House, attended a service at St. John’s Church next door, had teatime with Obama (it is peculiar that Trump had a hot chocolate at 10 in the morning) and arrived for his inauguration.

After the four former presidents, Carter, Clinton, Bush, and Obama, had been seated, Trump and Vice-president-elect Pence entered. During the inauguration oath, Trump put his hands on two Bibles: one was a present from his mother on the occasion of his graduation from Sunday school in 1955 and the other used to belong to former President Lincoln. The ceremony continued with the inaugural prayers and address.

I was not even comparing it to Obama’s inaugural address and his countless speeches, but his sixteen-minute speech, lacking a message of unity and any vision or philosophy for the future of humanity, was rather disappointing, especially when I flew for fourteen hours from Seoul after having canceled an appointment in Japan on the same day. 'We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth and we will bring back our dreams' 'From this moment on, it’s going to be America First'declared Trump. He boasted that it is the first day of accomplishing a history the world has never seen.

During the campaign some exaggeration and populism could be utilized as a means to get elected. The United States of America, the country I know of, has at least always declared its great tolerance and embracement of all human beings who are hurt and divided at the time of presidential inaugurations. It has always touched and inspired the world to heal and rehabilitate.

Trump’s inaugural address, however, was identical with his campaign speech geared towards only his supporters. No, it had become more determined and stronger. He used dark and negative vocabularies such as carnage, rusted-out factories 'an education system which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge' 'the crime guns drugs and so on. Being pointed out his lack of political experience, he generalized and harshly criticized all the politicians. When he was mentioning “empty talks' it almost sounded like he was targeting Obama who was famous for his moving speeches. Actually, I saw the frowning faces of the four former presidents including Obama on the TV screen afterwards, and it was so obvious that they all felt insulted.  

Just as his tough address suggested, he has been signing on executive orders to abolish Obamacare, deport illegal immigrants, to withdraw from the TPP etc. since Day-1. Mexico Japan Europe and many other countries must be appalled. I truly worry about what kind of attitude we should have as a tiny country; the only divided one in the worldsurround by powerful nations and surviving only through exports.

America is the strongest and the wealthiest country on earth and is respected as a leader of the world in many aspects such as innovative ideas and creativity. I think it is not good for America at all that it all of a sudden turns towards nationalism only for its own benefit. I am deeply worried that my second home country, beloved America, might suffer from a counteroffensive for such a course of actions.

Witnessing the new president’s roaring and hostile attitude, I felt really down although I was in Washington, the city with memories of my youth, a good environment, and my good old friends, but I am making great efforts to keep my mind positive and I hold onto a strap of hope.

Come to think of it, the inaugural ceremony for the 45th president and vice-president of America was in a way one beautiful church service. During an hour-and-two-minute ceremony, besides the inaugural oath and address, the remaining time was devoted to prayers led by 6 people. 'Rain in Bible was a sign of God’s blessing'  'We ask that you give him the Wisdom of Solomon” prayed they.

In the morning of his inauguration, right before the last teatime with Obama at the White house, he prayed at a church and took on oath in front of the whole world putting his right hand (my poet mother once called the right hand 'the righteous hand') on the words of God given by his mother. Right after his first night on the bed that used to belong to President Lincoln, he prayed and he attended a service at the National Cathedral in Washington as the first event of  the day. He himself said that God has to help him more than anything. When reporters asked him what the first thing he did on his first and the second day was, he answered that he prayed.

He must have went through so much until he became super rich and he must have realized by now that it is heaven that leads one to make plans in one’s mind. In the middle of Washington, the capital of the world’s most powerful country, I, strongly hold onto 
a strap of hope that he will eventually be led to the right way for the human beings in
this more connected world, for my own country and for the United States of America.

After the President's Oath  -  the Washington Capitol Jan 20 2017  

President Trump marching with Melania and his son - Jan 20 2017

At the 45th United States Presidential Inauguration

트위터 페이스북 미투데이 다음요즘 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크

댓글목록

회원로그인
회원가입     아이디/비번 찾기